Tuesday, November 3, 2009



Last night I was watching the football game after FHE and I was all alone in the TV room after having the fam over for dinner and a lesson. I could see this big black plastic cauldron sitting on top of the entertainment center. I kept trying not to think about it, but I knew it was full of trick or treats. I could picture the Snickers, Kit Kats, Reeses, Hersheys, M&Ms, Twix, all up there in that bowl. I knew it was just out of my reach. I kept trying to “not think about it”, but I finally capitulated. I couldn’t quite get it. I could touch it and coax it. I just needed a few more inches. I pulled a stool in from the kitchen and knelt on it to be a tiny bit taller, and I clutched the cabinet with one hand and tried to work the bowl with the other. I had a strange sensation of movement, then I realized the whole cabinet was tipping toward me, and together we went down. I was lying on the floor under this big heavy cabinet with that cauldron of candy perfectly fine sitting beside me. I screamed for Gary, and he came. I was embarrassed but helpless and hurting. He was able to lift the cabinet just enough for me to crab walk out from underneath it. I am battered, bruised and hurting, but I believe everything will heal. I didn’t eat any candy. I keep wondering what I was supposed to ‘learn’ from this. I still wonder. I feel embarrassed. I know this story will make me the joke of the day. I even photographed it for my blog—I’m trying to be a ‘good sport’, but inside I feel shame. Now everyone knows… and why would I think they didn’t? It is just so… “caught in the act”. What is this woman doing climbing a stool to raid the kids candy bowl? Why does she have a candy bowl? Isn’t she on a diet?.... She should be. I’m giving my thoughts to everyone. Something in me says just go get that candy and eat yourself sick. The pain will subside. What irrational thoughts.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Mom I love you so much!!! Save some of that candy for me and don't put it up so high!!!

ShEiLa said...

This is what would happen to me... if I had a candy bowl. But I don't and I don't have any problem that you do.

I am very sorry that you got hurt.

Of course I am the neighborhood clutz. Every time I fall I look up to see if Shella, Leslie, or anyone else just saw me take a tumble.

ToOdLeS.

Amy Joy said...

OH, Mama Leavitt! I am so glad you are not really hurt and that it was not one of the kids. I put the candy on the fridge but it didn't stop me. I know how you feel! You are a beautiful lady. There is WAY too much good about you to judge that litle bad. AND oh my that jacket. That is what my Levi would have done:-)